[CentOS] Problem getting eth0 up

Thu Aug 18 22:57:40 UTC 2011
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

On Aug 17, 2011, at 10:58 AM, Alfred von Campe <alfred at von-campe.com> wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2011, at 9:58, Lisandro Grullon wrote:
>
>> In a second note about the multi-NIC, i would focus in the actual card that have the connections
>
> That's my point, I only have one NIC (it's a desktop system) yet NM created two config files, one with ONBOOT=no and the other with ONBOOT=yes.  I reinstalled the system yet again, and this time there was only one.  I don't really like how NM affects the system; I think I'll disable it and edit the ifcfg file by hand (well, with a script).

The ifcfg-eth0 is for when NM is disabled and ONBOOT should then be set to yes for this and no for the ifcfg-Wired_Connection_1 an this should be set by NM when you tell it not to manage this interface.

There is another option I believe, something like NM_CONTROLLED=no, which if present in ifcfg causes NM to not attempt to control the device. For servers this should be present.

I agree though that NM not automatically enabling all interfaces under it's control should be filed as a bug.

-Ross