[CentOS] Fedora and CentOS no longer on speaking terms - SOLVED

Sat Aug 20 10:35:58 UTC 2011
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Friday 19 Aug 2011 15:39:12 Anne Wilson wrote:
> I have just upgraded my server from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 and am having
> connectivity problems.  My laptop runs Fedora 14, and I have been in the
>  habit of mounting data partitions on my server by fstab entries.  Since
>  the update I've not been able to do that.  On watching the messages during
>  a reboot I saw a statement that the connection was denied by the server
>  (where are those messages stored so that I can quote accurately?).
>
> I have temporarily disabled both the firewall and selinux, and the problem
> persists, so clearly they are not the cause.  Logwatch has the following
> section which may or may not be connected:
>
>  --------------------- Connections (secure-log) Begin
>  ------------------------
>

>  Userhelper executed applications:
>     anne -> system-config-users  as root:  1 Time(s)
>
>  **Unmatched Entries**
>     polkitd(authority=local): Operator of unix-
> session:/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session2 successfully authenticated as
> unix-user:root to gain TEMPORARY authorization for action
> org.fedoraproject.config.firewall.auth for system-bus-name::1.88
> [/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/system-config-firewall] (owned by
>  unix-user:anne): 1 Time(s)
>     polkitd(authority=local): Registered Authentication Agent for session
> /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session1 (system bus name :1.24
> [/usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1], object path
> /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8): 1 Time(s)
>     polkitd(authority=local): Registered Authentication Agent for session
> /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session2 (system bus name :1.45
> [/usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1], object path
> /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_GB.utf8): 1 Time(s)
>     polkitd(authority=local): Unregistered Authentication Agent for session
> /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session1 (system bus name :1.24, object path
> /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8)
>  (disconnected from bus): 1 Time(s)
>     polkitd(authority=local): Unregistered Authentication Agent for session
> /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session6 (system bus name :1.214, object path
> /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_GB.utf8) (disconnected
> from bus): 1 Time(s)
>
>  ---------------------- Connections (secure-log) End
>  -------------------------
>
> An example fstab line is
>
> /Data1			/nfs4exports/Data1	none	bind		0 0
>
> Under CentOS 5 this was mounted by the exports line:
>
> /nfs4exports/Data1  192.168.0.0/24(rw,insecure,no_subtree_check,nohide)
>
> Following advice, I have changed this to:
>
> /Data1/ 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 *(rw,sync,insecure,no_all_squash)
>
> That hasn't helped at all.
>
> I'm completely at a loss, and really need to get this connection working
> again.  I've done lots of googling and reading, but just feel to be digging
>  an ever-deeper hole.  All help appreciated.

I was certain I had missed some steps in setting up the exports, but simply
could not remember them.  Nor could I find the guide that got me started
before.  This morning I found it.  I cannot recommend this guide too highly -
so you might like to bookmark it for a reference sheet - for next time someone
asks you for help :-)

http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/debian/servers/setting-up-nfs4.jspx

Thanks, everyone, for trying to help.

Anne