[CentOS] OT: Hardware upgrade help

Wed Aug 24 01:40:58 UTC 2011
Thomas Dukes <tdukes at sc.rr.com>

I saw the i7's but I'm getting confused about dual core. Is the i7 thing a
new speed instead of Mghz?

> 4 and 6 core processors), there are three memory channels,
> and right now the best bang per buck is 4GB DIMMs, so you get
> 3 x 4GB == 12GB in one of those systems. most of the better
> motherboards for these CPUs have 6
> dimm slots, so its easy to add a 2nd 12GB for 24GB total.
>  if you're
> even thinking of virtualization, you want lots of RAM :)

Well, I was interested in virtualization because I might be able to run
Windoze and CentOS on the same machine at the same time and eliminating one
machine. Not sure that would be smart but then, that's new to me as well. I
need Windoze to run Quicken Home & Business. Never been interested in WINE.

> the low end budget version processors often have features
> disabled, such as the VTx thing that lets you run 64bit
> virtual machines, so its useful
> to study the specs closely.    oh, and don't trust the specs on store
> websites, check with the chip and board makers to verify.

Exactly!! I've been on this list for a while and I have never been given ill
advice.