[CentOS] Centos 6: howto install and run KDE

Fri Aug 26 16:19:01 UTC 2011
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Thursday 25 Aug 2011 Michael D. Berger wrote:
> On my laptop, I have not been able to get KDE to run; I
> always get gnome.  I installed selecting KDE, and I tried
> yum groupinstall, which appeared to work, but I still get
> gnome running.  BTW, I boot to level 3, and run startx.

The session you get should default to what you used last.  The problem is that
if that was gnome, the way to switch is not obvious.  Try this.

On the login screen put in your username but not your password.
Look carefully at the bottom of the window - you should find that one of the
icons there allows you to change your session type.  It is not visible until
you have entered your username.

Once you have selected KDE you can add your password and continue.

Anne