[CentOS] Apache warns Web server admins of DoS attack tool

Fri Aug 26 18:43:26 UTC 2011
Always Learning <centos at u61.u22.net>

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 14:34 -0400, John Hinton wrote:

> OK, so you have just chosen to put your vhost confs in an alternate
> directory. There are sound reasons for doing that, like ease of backups
> and dumb minded restores that any low level tech could do.

Thank you.

> To suggest others follow in your footsteps however is very short
> sighted.

I have never, not once, suggested others copy my layout.

> The two includes in httpd.conf allows both areas to load, but does break
> 'alternative' installs, such as squirrelmail as just one of many
> examples (assuming you got rid of the /etc/httpd/conf.d include).

We have no intention of using Squirrel Mail.

> So, yum install squirrelmail would not work without customization on your
> system, along with a number of other system wide tools one might want to
> run under apache. Python, php, manual, welcome, webalizer, ssl, squid,
> proxy_ajp, perl, cacti are all examples.

We have no problems running Apache with MySQL, PHP, SSL ...

> ....  to suggest an alternative area is
> just off the topic and potentially confusing to those that are trying to
> follow a step by step procedure down to the letter.

I have never, not once, suggested others copy my layout.

> I do recognize the merits of what you are doing.

Thank you.

Paul.