[CentOS] 6.0 Media problems

Mon Aug 29 02:33:37 UTC 2011
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 08/28/2011 09:17 PM Always Learning wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 21:06 -0400, ken wrote:
>
>> When I downloaded the iso for 6.0 install, K3b said the iso wouldn't fit
>> on the blank DVD.
>
> I remember reading that there are two main DVD formats + and -. One has
> (more?) error correction than the other and therefore everything may not
> fit on that type of DVD.  Centos 5.6 for X64 requires 2 DVDs.

Okay, that's the problem.  Well, it shouldn't be a problem really, but
that's why I have it and others don't.

> Which version did you download ?

Yeah, it was the i386.

>> So I downloaded and burned the LiveDVD.  When I boot it, I get the blue
>> splash screen (it says "CentOS... Community Enterprise OS on the bottom,
>> logo to the right), but nothing else comes up.  Hitting various keys
>> does nothing.
>
> Are you able to do a read integrity test of any of the DVDs ?

The md5sum on the download checked out.  I didn't verify the copy of the
burned DVD though.  I burned the DVD from the CLI with growiso.  I
couldn't think immediately how to do an md5sum on the DVD, so didn't.  I
just googled for how to do this.  The info I found wasn't helpful.

>> Downloaded and burned the Netinstall CD.  It gives an error message that
>> it can't install because the machine's CPU doesn't have pae.
>
> Recently someone wrote that PAE related to i386 but was not required for
> x64. What CPU type is your target machine ?

Broadly speaking it's a pentium i686, but without pae.  The fact that
this machine is excluded from RH/CentOS doesn't bode well for Linux.

>> So is it the end of CentOS/RH for this machine?  (I can't believe that.
>>  One of the great things about Linux has always been that it'll run on
>> old hardware.)  Or are these fixable problems?  Or are there workarounds?
>
> That used to be true but it is inevitable as 'modern' distributions get
> more capable not all current distributions cater for older spec.
> equipment. I hear there are other, non-Centos, distributions that do
> cater for less technically advanced machines.

Well, since I've got two or three other machines I'm either upgrading or
installing linux on, machines that are older than this one, I guess I'm
done with RH/CentOS.

> I'm waiting for Centos 6.1 before I try version 6.

Do you think hardware restrictions will be lessened in 6.1?

>> Or should I go for a different distribution?
>
> Have you tried Scientific Linux ? It is another Red Hat clone closely(?)
> related to Centos.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll have a look.