[CentOS] External vfat devices show uppercase filenames, how to change defaults for GNOME desktop?

Mon Aug 29 14:28:05 UTC 2011
wwp <subscript at free.fr>

Hello John,

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 07:19:31 -0700 (PDT) John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: wwp <subscript at free.fr>
>
> > I've recently switched from Fedora 11 to CentOS6. Now my SD cards
> > (automatically mounted on plug) contents is displayed as UPPERCASE
> > filenames.
> > I well see in mount's man that vfat's shortname option can be set to
> > either lower, win95, winnt, mixed. OK, that's for entries in /etc/fstab
> > or when mounting manually.
> > I'd like to change the defaults for devices that automatically mount in
> > GNOME.. is this possible?
> > In gconf-editor, I don't see a storage/ subdir in system/..
> > Any hint?
>
> Still under 5.x but maybe try gconf-tool2...
> $ gconftool-2 -g /system/storage/default_options/vfat/mount_options
> $ gconftool-2 -s /system/storage/default_options/vfat/mount_options --list-type=string -t list [shortname=lower,uid=,utf8]

Hmm interesting hint. I tried for both my current user and as root, the
key was not existing yet, I wrote it. Unplugged device, replugged
devices, filenames are still UPPERcase :-\.

Regards,

--
wwp