[CentOS] (c 5.6) Running 2 versions of Apache ?

Mon Aug 29 19:31:43 UTC 2011

Always Learning wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 13:35 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
<snip>
>> So why can't you do that for your new virtualhost instead of running
>> on a different IP?
>
> A mentally deranged lunatic has sent 30,000+ wrong URLs to a tiny web
> site. Its started about 5 August but significantly escalated on 22
> August.

Sorry, not a lunatic. Your website's name has been harvested, and added to
some black-market commercial or script kiddie toolkit, and it's on
infected servers around the world. Take it from me... (I'm a contractor
for a US Federal Gov't agency*, and we get *tons*.

> My Apache routine can add the IPs to iptables and block them. Since 22
> August the lunatic has used over 100 different IPs from around the world
> to send those wrong URLs which always seem to include one of these:-

Check out fail2ban. It works very nicely.
<snip>
         mark