[CentOS] Apache warns Web server admins of DoS attack tool

Mon Aug 29 20:11:31 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So, if the forums provide a usable rss feed, reading
>>> them shouldn't be that bad, even though you have to follow the links
>>> to read longer messages and reply.
>>
>> If the forums have useful RSS feeds, yeah, that would work.  I use Kontact; the default feed reader for Kontact is Akregator, which works reasonably well as long as the RSS feed is reasonable (that is, you can get all useful content without having to go to the forum website; if the forum RSS feed requires me to go to the website for essential things like subjects and thread starters, then it's unreasonable).
>>
>> Otherwise I find web forums require a complete change in workflow; that is, I have to go look at the website and navigate around, with different interfaces, logins, and paradigms.  I like e-mail when done right (folderized, threaded, etc).  When done wrong it's useless, too, for that matter.
>
> Not so sure about usability - it looks like the rss is all-or-nothing
> and I have no interest at all in CentOS4.  I'll see how it shows up in
> google reader.   The QA forum works fine that way to pick up the
> occasional announcement, though.

The first look isn't promising - there is only a small amount of text
displayed and clicking through to get the rest doesn't recognize
mobile browsers so you always have to zoom in for a reasonable font
size when using the phone app.  And a large percent of the admittedly
small sample looks more like spam or off-topic than what we see here.
Is anyone interested in seeing things like:
"Atlantica online OG Realms Private Server"
or
"Does CentOS join Micorsoft strategy?"

Clicking on the first one of those gave me a 'you do not have
permission to access this forum' error, which might mean someone
removed it after the rss entry was picked up, but still not a great
user experience.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com