[CentOS] Update to CentOS 6.0 without CD/DVD reader

Tue Aug 30 11:22:40 UTC 2011
John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com>

From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

> John Doe wrote:
>>  From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>
>>>  I've installed a substitute box - and HP MicroServer -
>>>  which by a miracle has CentOS-5.6 installed on it.
>>>  Now I'm wondering what is the best way to install CentOS-6,
>>>  given that there is no CD/DVD driver on this machine.
>>  You could also add the setup grub entry to your grub, and put the ISO
>>  files on a local HD (that will not be overwritten).
> Could you be a bit more precise, please.
> What do you mean by the "setup grub entry"?

I really think it would be easier to make a USB key/disk...
But, I tried the following yearsss ago... so did not test if it is still working...
Copy DVD files to HD (if netinstall, you don't need to copy isos):
  cp /mnt/cdrom/syslinux/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-c6
  cp /mnt/cdrom/syslinux/initrd.img /boot/initrd-c6.img
  mkdir -p /path/to/c6/images
  cp /mnt/cdrom/images/install.img /path/to/c6/images/
  cp *.iso /path/to/c6/
Add the entry to your grub (change the root to match your setup):
  title CentOS 6 Install
          root (hd0,0)
          kernel vmlinuz-c6
          initrd initrd-c6.img
You could maybe also directly specify where the images/isos are:
  repo=hd:sd??:/path/to/c6
And be sure that "/path/to/c6" is not formated as you install...
Again, not tested at all...
And I guess you will have 1 try only... if it fails somewhere in
the middle of the install, you won't have a 2nd chance

JD