[CentOS] Question re: CentOS-6.0, KVM, and /dev/sr0

Tue Aug 30 15:08:43 UTC 2011

James B. Byrne wrote:
> On Mon, August 29, 2011 10:46, James B. Byrne wrote:
<snip>
> However, I am still concerned about what the rest of this
> message means and its implications:
>
> Warning: WARNING: the kernel failed to re-read the
> partition table
> on /dev/sda (Device or resource busy).  As a result, it
> may not reflect all of your changes until after reboot.
>
> I have tried using partprobe and /sbin/blockdev -rereadpt
> /dev/sda and both report that the device /dev/sda/ is
> busy.  Is this an artifact of using of SATA style disks or
> has something changed between CentOS-5.6 and CentOS-6.0
> that specifically relates to this problem?  On 5.6 I can
> create new lvms, mount and use them without a reboot.  On
> 6.0 I cannot, for the moment at least, discover how this
> is done.

Were you doing it on /dev/sda?! If so, that was a *very* Bad Idea, since
/dev/sda is normally your /boot and /; of *course* it's busy, it's your
o/s, and doesn't want to be repartitioned, esp. while running.

       mark