[CentOS] selinux & iptables

Tue Aug 30 19:23:07 UTC 2011
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 30/08/11 20:08, Michael D. Berger wrote:
> In setting up my new CentOS 6 laptop, I replaced
> /etc/sysconfig/iptables with my own, very restrictive
> version.  I then tried to restart the iptables daemon,
> but it reported that my new iptables was unreadable.
> On a guess, I disabled selinux, and my problem was
> solved.  Later, I re-enabled selinux and on reboot, it
> had to go through a very long setup procedure.

Rather than disabling, you can put SELinux in permissive mode to
troubleshoot. Permissive mode will warn but still allow all actions that
would otherwise be blocked in enforcing mode.

When you disable SELinux and then later re-enable it, the whole file
system will need to be relabeled at boot, and this is probably what took
the time on your system. Switching between permissive and enforcing
modes avoids this.