[CentOS] 6.0 Media problems

Tue Aug 30 22:31:32 UTC 2011
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 08/30/2011 03:20 PM John Hodrien wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, ken wrote:

> It's a bit faffy, and doing a yum install rather than an anaconda install
> means there was a little bit more niggly setup left to do.  But I'd have no
> worries about doing it this way.

Though I'm glad those days are gone, I started out in Linux downloading
tarballs over a 2400 baud modem onto 3.5" floppies, patching and
compiling kernels, and figuring out dependencies by puzzling out error
messages.  A package management system was not even a future dream then.
 So I wouldn't recoil from your workaround, but it's too long a story to
tell my customers and less techy folk who come to me for advice.  Nor
would I tell them to ditch their "muttboxes" and bend over for the
hardware man when, as you've shown, and what a couple others here have
expressed in their absence of saying, none of that is necessary
technically.  So while your craft wouldn't be a big deal personally (if
no one else does, you should sketch it out on the wiki or somewhere),
there are others to consider.

>> Can I ask, how long have you been running this configuration?
>
> Not ages, but you're not going to see any problems from this kernel change.
>
>> And have you noticed in this time any problems related to the non-PAE
>> kernel?  Also, do you run server apps on your laptop, e.g.. apache, mysqld,
>> sshd, cups, postfix, mailman?  ....
>
> You can happily run anything you like, we're only talking about disabling PAE.
> You're limiting yourself to ~3Gbytes of RAM, but given my laptop's hardware
> only supports 1.25Gbytes maximum, that's not really a problem.  Seriously,
> it's going to be able to do exactly what any other non-PAE enabled
> distribution would be able to do.
>
> jh

Good to know.  Thanks.