[CentOS] OT: help with email list reading programs w/ best features to read the centos and other lists that can filter people etc

Wed Aug 31 05:02:12 UTC 2011
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 21:46:53 -0700
R - elists wrote:

> we need to filter out various peoples posts on this list
>
> would some kind soul(s) please direct us in locating the best email list
> reading programs w/ the best features to read the centos and other lists.
>
> the CentOS list signal/noise ratio is so bad that we need something better
> than just outlook like clients or whatever

Hello Mr. Elists (or may I call you R?)

Most email clients are capable of filtering incoming mail by subject, sender,
and other fields.  I note that you are using MS Outlook and I have absolutely
no experience with that program, but any email client I've used in the past
several years has allowed filtering in some manner.

My personal favourite email client is Sylpheed (which is available for both
Linux and Windows -- you can find a pre-compiled Sylpheed rpm for Centos 5 and
Centos 6 on my website if you're interested) and it can easily be used to
filter and sort email by just about any field that you choose to use.

With Sylpheed, you can set it up to filter "Sender=Whoever" to "Trash" or
"Delete from Server" if you want.  Just look under the Configuration - Filter
Settings menu; it's pretty self-explanatory.