[CentOS] OT: help with email list reading programs w/ best features to read the centos and other lists that can filter people etc

Wed Aug 31 14:58:07 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:46 PM, R - elists <lists07 at abbacomm.net> wrote:

> we need to filter out various peoples posts on this list
>
> would some kind soul(s) please direct us in locating the best email list
> reading programs w/ the best features to read the centos and other lists.
>
> the CentOS list signal/noise ratio is so bad that we need something better
> than just outlook like clients or whatever
>
> appropriate windows and linux recommendations would be most appreciated

I didn't expect this, but I am beginning to like gmail's web interface
better than dedicated mail programs.  I used to use fetchmail to pull
it to an imap server that I managed and accessed from various clients
and my phone via imap, but for an assortment of reasons I want to
retire that server and recently have been accessing gmail directly
through imap, the gmail phone app, and the web interface, and after
configuring the options a bit the web interface seems to be winning.
It now has a fuzzy concept of 'important' mail that it can display
first, and its folder operations are conceptually more like tagging
where 'inbox' is just another tag, although from imap they appear as
typical folders.    The normal thing to do with disposed mail is to
'archive' it which puts it out of sight, but it still appears in
searches and threaded conversation view - and being google, they
obviously have better search capability than you are going to find in
your own mail client.  For me, the conceptual differences are more
than making up for what you lose in a web-based interface - and when
you want you can always use a real client via imap as long as you
don't subscribe to the massive 'all mail' folder that holds the
archive.  I don't do any pre-filtering or sorting since you can just
archive everything and still be able to find it in a search, but the
facility is there if you want it and the results appear the same via
multiple imap clients, the phone app, or the web interface.   And yes,
I know it is all just a ploy to get you to stay logged in all the time
in the browser so your google search queries are tied to your login as
well as your IP, but they are really, really good at it...

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com