[CentOS] 6.1 .iso size?

Mon Dec 5 20:34:19 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Monday, December 05, 2011 02:56:18 PM John R Pierce wrote:
> indeed, that was my point.  its silly to expect the latest release of
> ENTERPRISE LINUX, a distribution clearly targeted at servers, to have to
> support every funky old box end users can throw at it.

If EL6 is targeted at servers, why does upstream have not one but two desktop oriented SKU's?  This 'EL is a server OS' meme is ludicrous, as EL6 is a fantastic desktop/workstation OS.

> My circa 2004 Dell
> Latitude D600 "Dothan" (Pentium-M) laptop?   I wouldn't even bother to try.

You know, I don't exactly agree with that.  The D600 (and D610) are still relatively useful laptops that, with the right desktop environment, can perform quite well, especially with the 2.0GHz Pentium M and 2GB of RAM (which can be had).  I would dare say that for most things a 2GHz Pentium M would perform nearly as well as a Core 2 Duo at the same clock with the same amount of RAM, and will outperform a P4 or Netburst Xeon at 3GHz.  That is, in terms of single-threaded performance, that D600 with a 2GHz Pentium M will run comparably to a Dell Precision 650/670/690 with one single-core 3GHz Xeon, especially if the D600 has a 7200RPM drive and the good nVidia graphics.

Heh, if you want rid of that D600 I know a non-profit that will be glad to have you donate it....

Intel's not putting PAE in that era of Pentium M is one of those odd things; my older Dell Latitude C-series with a 1.8Ghz P4 can run the PAE kernel just fine, but the much faster D610 with the 2GHz Pentium M can't?  Something odd with that picture.