[CentOS] how to install standard software on systems with heterogeneous hardware?

Thomas Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Thu Dec 1 18:10:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 2:05 AM, Deyan Stoykov <dstoykov at uni-ruse.bg> wrote:
> Then boot in single mode, reconfig networking,
> modprobe.conf, fstab, hostname, etc., reboot and that's it.

This is the sort of stuff I need to automate, at least with a script.
It is fairly repetitious and I am not reliable enough to just do it by
hand and not forget something. It would be so much better if I could
just install a custom rpm. I guess I need to bite the bullet and learn
about cobbler.

>This assumes
> all machines are on the same arch and you don't use LVM

LVM is so cool, but I actually never use any of its cool features,
just get bit by the gotchas. I am mostly just setting up simple
workstations. I wish the installer made it easier to go back to the
old-fashioned way. I guess I should talk to upstream.

Thanks for all the inputs.
Dave