[CentOS] How to make nodes in my local LAN see each other's names

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Dec 2 16:17:59 UTC 2011

On Friday, December 02, 2011 11:06:51 AM Craig White wrote:
> ummm... there are WINS master browser elections on every subnet ...

'Master browser election broadcasts' != 'broadcast-based name resolution.'

I have measured significant broadcast traffic reduction when migrating from non-WINS to WINS SMB/CIFS name resolution.

But this is straying quite far from the OP's question (he doesn't appear to be on a routed network, for one) and from the topic of the list.