[CentOS] DHCP_HOSTNAME in ifcfg-eth0

Timothy Madden terminatorul at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 17:27:34 UTC 2011

On 02.12.2011 16:59, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Timothy Madden wrote:
>> On 02.12.2011 13:25, Александр Кириллов wrote:
[...]
>> For some strange reasone, when I do that, I get 'host name lookup
>> failure' during `service network restart´ invocation, so in the end I
>> resorted to using just:
>> 	DHCP_HOSTNAME=`hostname`
>> which seems to work properly until now, and now my router can see the
>> computer names for its DHCP clients, which is a big step compared to
>> seeing just the MAC address. :)
>
> I haven't closely followed this thread - did someone mention just putting
> HOSTNAME= in /etc/sysconfig/network?

Yes, this thread actually starts at
     nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.centos.general/120489

I have the 'HOSTNAME= ' line in /etc/sysconfig/network, and the DHCP
client still does not send the hostname to the DHCP server on start-up.
So my router never knows my computer name.

The point was how to tell DHCP client to send the *current* hostname to
the server, instead of hard-coding the hostname in the dhclient
configuration file.

Timothy Madden