[CentOS] Missing sources in CentOS 6.0

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Dec 2 19:41:07 UTC 2011

On 12/02/2011 01:12 PM, Ryan R. Uber wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> In the 6.0 release, I have found a gap in the provided source under the SRPMS/ directories on the mirrors.
>
> Let's take the 'bash' source as the first example. The version of bash that I find in the binary x86_64 directories is:
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos-6/6.0/os/x86_64/Packages/bash-4.1.2-3.el6.x86_64.rpm
>
> One would expect to find the source to that binary at:
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos-6/6.0/os/x86_64/Packages/bash-4.1.2-3.el6.src.rpm
>
> However, it does not exist. I have looked on many mirrors, all with the same result, which leads me to believe that this is simply missing on all CentOS mirrors.
>
> I have checked other distributions to see if the result is consistent, but Red Hat provides the SRPMS in their repository:
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server/en/os/SRPMS/bash-4.1.2-3.el6.src.rpm
>
> As do other rebuild-distributions like Scientific Linux:
> http://mirrors.200p-sf.sonic.net/scientific/6.0/SRPMS/vendor/bash-4.1.2-3.el6.src.rpm
>
> I have noticed this same anomoly with the following packages:
>
> bash
> coreutils
> iptables
> libselinux
> mod_auth_kerb
> nss
> redhat-logos
>
> There may be others as well, but I have not checked the entire distribution.

I have no idea why those are not there ... I will see if these are
signed in our build system and push them now if they are.

> Is this a mistake? Or is there a reason that these are left out? I searched the forums and found this thread, but it offers no real solution:
> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=143030&topic_id=33382

It is a mistake that any from the 6.0 repo are not there ... one that I
will rectify ASAP.

> Also, there doesn't appear to be any source available for the CR repository. Is there any place I can find these? Or am I just supposed to fetch them from upstream?

You will not need to get them from upstream, they will be provided when
we release 6.1 (the CR ones).  The purpose of CR is to be fast with the
binaries and we will push everything (including the sources) after we
finish the QA and do the 6.0 release.

You can get them from upstream if the package is not either a kernel or
have centos or .centos in the name, because they will be the same
(except for the signature).  Otherwise we are down to the last couple of
errors and I expect 6.1 to be released within a week (including all SRPMS).