[CentOS] Intel SE7210TP1-E giving memory errors

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Dec 5 08:34:57 UTC 2011

On 12/05/11 12:17 AM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> Swapped the memory between DIMM 2A and DIMM 2B - still get fault in
> row 3, channel 0 - thus did not move with the RAM??
> Next reboot I'll try swapping 1A and 1B

often an indication the problem is board/socket related rather than
memory DIMM.  unless its the other pair you didn't swap.

> Also I have just discovered that both the OS drives sda and sdb have
> huge number of errors shown on the SMART records
> - can this relate to the memory errors??
> - I am just really surprised to have two drives show almost identical
> number of errors at the same time, yet no apparent data errors -
> Drives are ATA ST380013AS 74.53 GB
>
> Just for safety I swapped /dev/sda with a new slightly larger drive
> did the sfdisk foo and added it to the md raid drives.
> This brand new drive immediately shows high raw read er

hmmm.  no, they shouldn't be remotely related.   unless its something
else, like a power supply with noisy or out of spec voltage(s).

80GB 3.5" SATA drives?   aren't those kind of old?   like, ancient ?
looked up that PN, thats a Baracuda 7200.7 from circa 2003-2005.
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/sata/cuda7200_sata_pm.pdf

those are past their shelf date.