[CentOS] 6.1 .iso size?

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 16:11:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn
<dennisml at conversis.de> wrote:
> On 12/05/2011 04:52 PM, Beartooth wrote:

>>       I don't even know how to tell what kernel a prospective download
>> has. I do know that some of my other PCs list kernels with and without
>> "PAE" in the grub display.
>
> PAE means physical address extension and allows 32bit cpus to make use of
> memory beyond the 4gb limit addressable with 32bit.
>
> Centos/RHEL 6 doesn't support cpus without this as it's hard to come by a
> machine these days that doesn't have this extension.

FYI, the ELRepo project now provides kernel-ml for EL6 [1] that
includes a non-PAE kernel [2] (thanks to Alan Bartlett). However, one
has to create an install disk/image with that kernel to perform the
installation.

Akemi

[1] http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml
[2] http://elrepo.org/linux/kernel/el6/i386/RPMS/