[CentOS] 6.1 .iso size?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 20:52:11 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:

>> My circa 2004 Dell
>> Latitude D600 "Dothan" (Pentium-M) laptop?   I wouldn't even bother to try.
>
> You know, I don't exactly agree with that.  The D600 (and D610) are still relatively useful laptops that, with the right desktop environment, can perform quite well, especially with the 2.0GHz Pentium M and 2GB of RAM (which can be had).  I would dare say that for most things a 2GHz Pentium M would perform nearly as well as a Core 2 Duo at the same clock with the same amount of RAM, and will outperform a P4 or Netburst Xeon at 3GHz.

Ummm, no.  I had a D610 and now have an already-aging D630 with a Core
2 Duo.  There's a big difference, and of course the D630 can run
VMware with 64-bit guests.

But back to the 'spirit of open source' - I thought that meant that if
you didn't like it you could fix it yourself.   And I thought someone
had already done a non-PAE kernel or was working on it to make
PXE-booted thin clients work.   So if you want it bad enough it should
be a matter of figuring out how to get it installed.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com