[CentOS] Booting C 6.0 from C 5.7

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Tue Dec 6 13:08:32 UTC 2011

Vreme: 12/06/2011 01:42 PM, Always Learning piše:
> On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 10:05 -0500, Rilindo Foster wrote:
>> ............. Which version of grub are you running and from which distro?
>
> Distro = C 5.7
>
> Regrettably the command:
>
>          grub --version
>
> yields:-
>
>          grub (GNU GRUB 0.97)
>
> But this is insufficient information because it does not reveal minor
> version numbers.
>
> In a posting from Centos earlier this year, which I found last night but
> can't find again, the writer Bob? says that Grub since version 0.97.b.b
> in 2009 has been Ext4 aware, but the Grub in Centos 5.x, version
> 0.97.a.a, is not Ext4 aware.
>
> I re-installed C 6.0 on a Ext3 partition and was able to launch it from
> the Grub menu on C 5.7 using
>
> title C6-0 (2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64)
>   	rootnoverify (hd0,6)
> 	chainloader +1
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> ************************ INCIDENTALLY ******************************
>
> On partition 5 on the same disk, I have Ubuntu 11.4 (the latest
> version). That partition is formatted as Ext4 as confirmed by GParted
> 0.4.8 running on C 5.7
>
> Guess what ?
>
> I can launch Ubuntu using the same Grub menu on C 5.7 using:-
>
> title Ubuntu 11.04 (chain) (2.6.38-8)
>   	rootnoverify (hd0,4)
> 	chainloader +1
>

> If the problem is genuinely Grub's, on C 5.7, lack of understanding of
> Ext4 on which I installed C 6.0, then why does this ''problem'' not
> adversely affect and prevent me using the same Grub memu on C 5.7, and
> the same boot commands, starting Ubuntu ????
>
> It suggests, the problem lies with C 6.0 and ***NOT*** with Grub on C
> 5.7.  My guess is a bug in C 6.0's Grub implementation is failing to
> accept anything coming from a Grub 1 (the Grub used on C 5.7)
> environment. The pertinent point is, if Ubuntu 11.4 works why not C 6.0 ?

If Ext4 was the culprit you would get following error:

17 : Cannot mount selected partition
     This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the
filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.

(from http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/gnu/grub/html_chapter/grub_13.html)

Instead, GRUB complained about kernel image.

I still think it was something else, not Ext4.

I looked on my main system and there I had separate HDD so I will not
insist that C5.7 can boot from Ext4 until i check my notebook.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...