[CentOS] Backup Redux

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 17:34:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:00 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>>> You missed rsync.
>>
>> Rsync is another one-off approach where you have to roll your own
>> commands per target.   Backuppc can use rsync as the transport,
> <snip>
> Actually, my manager wrote a set of scripts some years ago, and we *do*
> have centralized backup setups, which get automagically pushed out, and
> the backup hosts know what directories to backup from each server.
>
> But it is a roll-your-own, though I'd have to go look to see if he
> released it as FOSS.

But is it better somehow than backuppc, which is basically a perl script that:
 (a) can use rsync, tar, smb, or ftp to collect the backups
 (b) provides a web interface with the ability to delegate host 'owners'
 (c) schedules everything for you
 (d) optionally compresses
 (e) detects and pools files with duplicate content, even from
different sources.
 (f) is packaged in EPEL

It does have its own quirks, of course.  The main ones being that its
rsync-in-perl (on the server side so it can work with its own
compressed files while chatting with a stock remote rsync) is somewhat
slow, and that its archive storage that uses hardlinks for pooling may
end up being impractical to copy with file-oriented tools.  But
basically it just takes care of itself after the initial setup.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com