[CentOS] How to list virt machine size with virsh?

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 12:18:22 UTC 2011

> What I miss in that overview is the memory size of clients. I found
> "virsh dominfo <client>" but that is for just that one client (and I
> have several running).
> The same question for "xm top". I found that there seems to exist
> virt-top, but I could not find this in a repository for Centos5.

For the memory thing off the top of my head I can't think of anything
in a single command... but a quick virsh list | awk '$2 ~ /running/
{print $1}' | while read guest; do virsh dominfo $guest | grep
memorything .... adapted slightly since that's untested and just
quickly knocked out from rough memory shoudl help...

With regards to virt-top that's on CentOS 6 .... for the underlying
hosts you really want to be on C6 rather than C5 at this point due to
much improved libvirt/kvm features - things like ksm and transparent
huge pages are new and help... and then things like the newer
scheduler and kernel is a bonus...

Leave your guests on C5 or whatever they are on while you migrate
sensibly... but there is no good reason for the hosts systems to be
runnin C5 at this point... if you are only just starting to migrate
form xen to kvm seriously get on C6 and do yourself a huge favour...

James