[CentOS] Cannot remove a file

Theo Band

theo.band at greenpeak.com
Mon Dec 12 11:45:00 UTC 2011

I have used restore to restore a snapshot of home data. From the root of
this restore a file called aquota.user exists but cannot be removed:

# mount|grep temp
/dev/mapper/vgraid-temprestore on /mnt/temprestore type ext3 (rw)
# cd /mnt/temprestore/home
# ll -d .
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 12 11:12 .
# ll
total 12
-rw------- 1 root root 8192 Sep 30 10:21 aquota.user
# rm aquota.user
rm: remove write-protected regular file `aquota.user'? y
rm: cannot remove `aquota.user': Operation not permitted
# mv aquota.user somethingelse
mv: cannot move `aquota.user' to `somethingelse': Operation not permitted
# chown root.root aquota.user
chown: changing ownership of `aquota.user': Operation not permitted
# setfacl -b aquota.user
# rm aquota.user
rm: remove write-protected regular file `aquota.user'? y
rm: cannot remove `aquota.user': Operation not permitted
# getfacl aquota.user
# file: aquota.user
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rw-
group::---
other::---

And yes, I did a fsck -f on the filesystem. I even re-created the
filesystem (it needs to be empty anyhow) but after I restore the file
(using restore) the same problem pops up.
Any ideas on what else I can do to get rid of this file?

CentOS 5.7
Selinux permissive.

Theo