[CentOS] auto-creating a local yum cache?

Christopher Mills chris at chrisam.net
Mon Dec 12 22:08:56 UTC 2011

On Dec 12, 2011, at 3:49 PM, Alan McKay wrote:

> I know I can create my own repository and then point them at it - but that
> is difficult here because rsync is blocked (ggrrrrrr...)

I had this same problem at work. RSync was blocked, and I had a bunch of machines to update. I installed a SpaceWalk server (http://spacewalk.redhat.com/) to get around this. It downloads the packages via http and even has fields for proxy, username & password to work with an authenticating proxy.

There's a good tutorial on the CentOS wiki for this: http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PackageManagement/Spacewalk

-Chris