[CentOS] Yum metadata / CR problems

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Dec 15 13:23:14 UTC 2011

On 12/15/2011 07:12 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> On 12/14/2011 01:44 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>>
>>> I am sure there is, looking into that right now
>>
>> posted a potential fix into the metadata, that should peculate through
>> to mirrors soon and fix the issue for everyone.
>>

> Great, thanks! Can you elaborate what the fix changes? This accute problem
> is no biggie as it has a simple manual solution but if it would be
> necessary to do this on every distro update that wouldn't be ideal.

The issue was that we use a hard linker on our mirrors (to save space)
... so if 2 (or more) files have the same CRC info, they are linked to
the same physical file.

The hard linker found that all the "zero RPMs in a repo" metadata was
the same and hard linked them all together ... but the "Date" on those
metadata files was older than the date on the 6.0 CR repo files.

So, if you had cached CR metadata, the system thought it was newer than
the current metadata, and therefore did not replace it.

We just recreated the metadata to be a newer date than the 6.0 CR
metadata and that fixed the issue.