[CentOS] installing gnome, CentOS 6.1

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Thu Dec 15 21:21:00 UTC 2011

I just rebuilt a box to 6.1 for a user. Shortly after I delivered, she
came up to ask about gnome; it had come up as KDE. I looked at the login
screen, and in the session type, saw previous, custom, kde, and default.
When I investigated, I found not all 7,532,340 gnome packages were
installed. Googling for responses only in the last month, I found a lot of
groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment", as opposed to what I put in our
PXEboot file months ago, "GNOME Desktop Environment (RPM Fusion Free)".
That didn't work either, and after a bit more googling, found people
saying groupinstall Desktop.

So, is upstream so GNOMEly that the rest of the desktops/window managers
are just chopped liver?

       mark, annoyed at having to change the ks.cgi *again*