[CentOS] Monitoring services

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 18:02:50 UTC 2011

> > Thoughts form anyone on any of this?
>
> Network monitoring is not trivial no matter what tool you use.  Pick
> something that you trust to scale to the proportions you will need so
> you don't do a lot of work and then hit a wall.   And if you have a
> lot of systems, avoid anything that needs per-system configuration or
> agent installation.

Agreed.  I'm definitely not looking for trivial - just trying to make sure
I understand the strengths and weaknesses of each system to help me make
the right decision.  Because once I've made that decision, I have to live
with it :-)   Our environment is relatively small.  About 80 servers that
are mostly grouped into 3 compute clusters for the scientists I support.  A
few switches, and no routers under my direct control (though a few Linux
boxes routing between NICs since some of the environment is on our own
private LAN behind said Linux box, cut off from the Hospital's network)

cheers,
-Alan