[CentOS] Monitoring services

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Dec 17 09:30:43 UTC 2011

On 12/16/2011 04:19 PM, Alan McKay wrote:
> At the base of what I see so far, Zabbix is only able to monitor devices
> that have the Zabbix agent on it - is that correct?

not at all. Zabbix can do active and passive tests, it can even proxy
them via relays and can aggregate results based on conditions across
multiple resources ( including across different resources ).

> graph their traffic and so forth, but is any monitoring software able to
> actually say "there is a potential problem with your router or switch"?

ofcourse, thats the most interesting part of monitoring. Knowing about
service 'anomalies' is important.

>  Other than "your device is now down" which is pretty easy to figure out
> anyway without monitoring software since just about anything connected to
> it is going to start throwing alarms once it is down.

only if its very badly setup. With relationships in place, you should
only see an alert for the real problem, and not the dozens of fallouts
from that problem.

> Do Zabbix or Zenoss allow for this sort of testing that Nagios has?

yes.

- KB