[CentOS] Backup Redux

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 00:14:25 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Nataraj <incoming-centos at rjl.com> wrote:

> Does backupPC have the abilty to easily be configured so that each daily
> incremental and each weekly full backup are stored on different drives,
> i.e. to rotate drives based on your backup schedule and not just when a
> drive fills up?  I think this might look something like having one drive
> for each day of the week, 1 for each week of the month, 1 for each month
> of the year, etc...

No, due to the way that duplicate files are pooled with hardlinks,
backuppc must store everything on a single filesystem and additional
copies do not consume additional space - so there is no reason to do
that from a storage perspective.   However, from discussions on the
mail list, I believe that there are people who swap/rotate the entire
archive drive daily or weekly, letting it catch up after each swap,
and others have various schemes to image-copy the filesystem with raid
or lvm mirroring to get offsite copies.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com