[CentOS] KVM guests failed to start after 6.2 upgrade

Emmett Culley

emmett at webengineer.com
Thu Dec 22 00:56:59 UTC 2011

I tore my hair out for a while after rebooting into 6.2 because none of the VM guests would start.  After trying lots of things, like down grading qemu-kvm (which fixed it when I upgraded via the CR repository and didn't this time), cloning a VM, and even beginning to create new VM to restore from backup.

Luckily I discovered that there is a log for each VM and found in each case it failed because vmvga is not compiled into KVM.  So I changed them all to cirrus via virt-manager and they all work again.

The host machine is all up to date and all of the guest start and operate as usual.

Emmett