[CentOS] kernel panic/abort during boot

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Dec 23 18:02:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 05:53:13PM -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 12/22/2011 05:44 PM, fred smith wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 04:56:42PM -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
<snip>

> >> There is a new kernel building right now that might
> >> fix something ... though I do not see anything specifically about your cpu.
> >>
> >> Here is the errata link:
> >>
> >> http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2011-1849.html
> >>
> >> If everything builds it should be released in a couple of hours.
> >>

> > so it'll show up in a release channel (or CR repo) ?
> >

> It will be in 6.2/updates/
>
> Still building right now.

Johnny, I got that kernel, and it dies what appears to be the same
death as the prior one. the register dump is different than the one
I showed, but even before that the dump didn't always look the same.
this one also mentions something about alsa or snd. I can put it up on
the same web site as the last one if anyone would find it useful to
see (I certainly don't know how to interpret it).

also, this is a netbook, so it has no serial port. If it did I'd look
into a serial console on the theory that I could capture the entire
dump. Can anyone suggest how I would do that without a serial console?
... or if not exactly that, other things that would be useful to do
to help clarify/diagnose this?

thanks all!

Fred