[CentOS] Mystery of email authentication

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Dec 24 11:54:43 UTC 2011

k8gv5eYDmBCYFDSwBDOiMg at public.gmane.org)
>> is not in the trusted CA certificate locations, or that c_rehash needs to
>> be run on the certificate directory. For details, please see the
>> documentation of -- sslcertpath and --sslcertfile in the manual page.
>> 139925738739528:error:14090086:SSL
>> routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify
>> failed:s3_clnt.c:1063:
>> fetchmail: SSL connection failed.
>> fetchmail: socket error while fetching from
>> tim at imap.maths.tcd.ie fetchmail: Query
>> status=2 (SOCKET)
>> ------------------------------------

> Its just healthier, more detailed warnings that what you got before.
>
> SSL/TLS relies on a third party verification of a certificate. This
> means a third party's signature on the certificate of the site you are
> connecting to. If, on the other hand, the site you're connecting to
> signed their own certificate themselves, then you have no way of knowing
> if they are really themselves because nobody outside of the 2-party
> connection is validating that the system you're taking to today is the
> same system you were talking to yesterday.

Thanks very much for your explanation,
which throws some light on the subject.

What I still find a little puzzling is that
"fetchmail --sslcertck imap.maths.tcd.ie"
tells me the SSL connection failed,
yet "fetchmail imap.maths.tcd.ie" seems to work.

Also, I'm not clear if SSL will look at all the crt's
in /etc/pki/tls/certs , or just ca-bundle.crt?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net