[CentOS] NIS passwd and paswd.byname map encryption

James Pearson james-p at moving-picture.com
Wed Dec 28 17:48:20 UTC 2011

Boris Epstein wrote:
> Hello listmates.
>
> It appears that in order to authenticate a Mac OS X Lion client via NIS the
> passwords in passwd and passwd.byname maps need to be MD5 encrypted. How do
> I see what encryption has been used in my maps? How do I change it?

I think it is the case that Lion only supports DES password hashes in
NIS passwd maps - see the thread at:

<https://discussions.apple.com/message/16772720#16772720>

i.e. they only support the standard crypt() password hashes - which is a
regression from previous versions of MacOS X - MacOS 10.6 supports MD5
NIS password hashes ...

James Pearson