[CentOS] Is Biarch with 6.x now dead?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Dec 28 18:01:44 UTC 2011

On 12/28/2011 10:25 AM, Michael Lampe wrote:
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>
>> Biarch is actually only needed for libraries and support packages.
>> Running native i386 application on x86_64 does not make much sense
>> (third-party apps are another thing).
>
> I also like the option to compile, run, test, debug, etc. my own
> programs as 32 bit. That's why starting with 5.x there's not only the
> libs, but also the devel-packages.
>
> Biarch is at least to me a valuable feature. Anyway it's all there, just
> not in the ISOs it seems.

There is a variable in yum.conf called multilib_policy ...

The default in CentOS 5 is all ... the default in CentOS 6 is best.  I
personally like best better.  I only have the bare minimum i386
libraries on my machines (usually none but sometimes a few libraries on
workstations)

If you like, you can set multilib_policy to all after you install the
i386 items you want on your x86_64 install.

I can tell you that I would personally use something like mock to build
or 32-bit items in at least a clean chroot when building/compiling 32
bit things on a 64-bit machine.  But to each their own.