[CentOS] what percent of time are there unpatched exploits against default config?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 02:50:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at alice.it> wrote:

>> Running your own server is not like using a toaster.  It requires
>> someone with a detailed level of knowledge to install and maintain it.
>
> What about home servers?

Are they exposed to inbound internet traffic?  If so, expect people
who are smarter and more experienced than yourself to attempt to hack
in, even if only with fully automated schemes.

> It seems to me that these are bound to become more popular
> as more devices with IP addresses (Smart TV's and phones, etc)
> get linked into home systems.

They don't need to be directly accessible from the internet.   Most
would be behind a NAT router that only allows outbound access.

> I guess the person in the home running one of these
> is a System Administrator.
> Or maybe there should be a new title, Home System Administrator.
>
> I run CentOS on a couple of small home servers (one remotely),
> and wouldn't claim to have any deep knowledge of the subject.
> I usually find the gurus on this newsgroup solve any problems I have!

There are distributions targeted to the SOHO or even home environment.
 Look at SME server or ClearOS - that basically have the same
components as CentOS but come up working with most needed services
running and configurable with a simple web interface.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com