[CentOS] NFS options in fstab

Daniel Bird

dbird at sgul.ac.uk
Thu Dec 29 14:25:11 UTC 2011

Hi All,
I've a quick question I'm hoping someone can help out on; One of our NFS
servers has an intermittent hard lock problem under high load. This is a
CentOS 5.7 box. It's due for replacement sometime next year. However...

The issue is when this box dies the boxes that mount the NFS exports
have trouble with the mount and some processes time out casing the
system mounting the file system to become unresponsive also.  Of course
un-monuting the file system with -l fixes it.

This is an example of our current mount options in fstab

hostname:/share1/ /mountpoint nfs rw,intr,soft,bg 0 0

The question is, what (other) options should we be using to allow the
mounting server to ignore/fail/timeout the mount, or at least continue
normal processing, when the NFS server packs up?
FYI we can't move to NFS4 since we've some old boxes running Solaris 8
mounting this filesystem also, which cannot be upgraded Solaris 10 to
support v4.

All the best

Dan