[CentOS] what percent of time are there unpatched exploits against default config?

夜神 岩男 supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Dec 29 14:53:54 UTC 2011

On 12/29/2011 10:21 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Thursday 29 December 2011 13:07:56 Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 29.12.2011 12:56, schrieb Leonard den Ottolander:

>>> Bennett clearly states that he understands the ssh key is more random,
>>> but wonders why a 12 char password (of roughly 6 bits entropy per byte
>>> assuming upper&  lower case characters and numbers) wouldn't be
>>> sufficient.
>>
>> so explain me why discuss to use or not to use the best
>> currently availbale method in context of security?
>
> Using the ssh key can be problematic because it is too long and too random to
> be memorized --- you have to carry it on a usb stick (or whereever). This
> provides an additional point of failure should your stick get lost or stolen.
> Human brain is still by far the most secure information-storage device. :-)
>
> It is very inconvenient for people who need to login to their servers from
> random remote locations (ie. people who travel a lot or work in hardware-
> controlled environment).
>
> Besides, it is essentially a question of overkill. If password is not good
> enough, you could argue that the key is also not good enough --- two keys (or
> a larger one) would be more secure. Where do you draw the line?
>
> Best, :-)
> Marko

Hi Marko!
What about IC cards? I use that a lot, and its reduced my need for a
password to something tiny (6 numbers) and requires a physical key (my
card). I have the root certificates, private keys, etc. stored offline
just in case my card goes nuts, which has happened before, but I've
never had a problem with this.

When traveling I log in to my home server and work servers with my
laptop. Its really a *lot* easier than using a bunch of pasword schemes.
I was initially worried that I'd run into a situation where I'd either
lose my card traveling, or it would get crushed, or whatever -- but that
hasn't happened in 5 years. What has happened in 5 years of doing this
is intermittent network outages, work server crashing, web applications
failing, database corruption, etc.

So from experience (mine and coworkers, at least), it is a lot more
likely that problems will arise from totally different vectors than
having ssh keys and ic cards making life complicated -- because from
this user's perspective its made things a LOT simpler.

But it requires a bit of study. Which most people don't do. More to the
point most people don't even read popups on the screens, even the big
red scary ones, so...