[CentOS] what percent of time are there unpatched exploits against default config?

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Thu Dec 29 18:18:55 UTC 2011

On 12/29/2011 06:45 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> <snip>
>> I like to use serial numbers from MB, HDD, etc., as passwords. I never
>
> The one problem with this is that *if* the attacker has the slightest idea
> of the hardware, their task is vastly smaller. I trust, for example, that
> you don't use Dell's s/n/"express code"; Penguin, not having sold 5
> gazillion servers, has the first few digits all the same, for years
> (they're being optimistic with s/n's that long).
> <snip>
>         mark

No. I got the idea from my first second-hand MB for NOC router/firewall,
while I was on the grain silo needing to reinstall ClarkConnect on it
(don't ask :-D ). You can use s/n from some old PC you have at your
home, or discarded MB (or whatever).

Of course, using s/n's would be same as using some good random-generator
script.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)