[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] Using sha256sum instead of md5sum for package checksums

Wed Dec 14 03:46:32 UTC 2011
Yves Bellefeuille <yan at storm.ca>

On Monday 12 December 2011, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> There are known Collision Attacks for the MD5SUM method of hashing,
>  so it is possible to modify a file and make it have the same MD5SUM
>  as another file.  See this link for details on Collision Attacks:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collision_attack
>
> Recommendation from the US-CERT concerning MD5SUM hashes:
>
> http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/836068
>
> Based on the above information, the CentOS team will be using
>  sha256sum (sha-2) and not md5sum to generate future hashes for
>  posting on our e-mail announcements to the CentOS Announce Mailing
>  List.

MD5 is certainly broken, but would it be sufficient to go to sha1sum?
According to my quick testing, sha256sum takes twice as long as sha1sum.

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan at storm.ca>
"La Esperanta Civito ne rifuzas anticipe la kunlaboron de erarintoj, se