[CentOS] How to make nodes in my local LAN see each other's names

Fri Dec 2 16:29:09 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Friday, December 02, 2011 11:02:18 AM Craig White wrote:
> I'm sort of surprised no one pointed out that mDNS/avahi type of name resolution was probably the way to go for a heterogenous network but yes, it too is not generally installed/configured on a normal Linux install.

While there is some distinct merit to a zeroconf setup (especially if you have Mac users), in a network of the OP's size multicast DNS could possibly end up being effectively using broadcasting, too, and thus not help in terms of network efficiency. But I don't think efficiency is a major concern with 8 workstations.

Having said that, I don't have any metrics since I've not personally tried it to see.

But it's a thought.