[CentOS] How to make nodes in my local LAN see each other's names

Fri Dec 2 16:33:36 UTC 2011
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 12/02/2011 09:46 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> WINS does not work this way.  WINS works fine even when nodes are separated by routers and is the recommended way (at least by MS) to do SMB/CIFS name resolution in a routed network.
>>
>> I agree with Lamar ... I use WINS on a routed VPN network that has a
>> dozen offices that uses Samba on Linux (and OpenLDAP) as the Domain
>> Controller.  Samba has an option called:
>>
>> remote announce
>> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html#id2583364
>>
>> and another called:
>>
>> remote broswer sync
>> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html#id2583504
>>
>> These two options keep all my WINS/SMB networks synced all across the US.
>
> Yes, but to make it work, the wins server has to have a static IP,
> which is what the discussion was about avoiding....  And it still
> doesn't handle duplicate names or provide a way to delegate naming
> rights to avoid them.   So it can work, but only under some limited
> circumstances, and only for things using the matching protocols.  But,
> if you have a registered DNS domain or a private one and constrain
> your lookups to start there, you could use a DNS server that accepts
> dynamic updates.

There is also certainly nothing wrong with doing dynamic dns if you have
a linux box giving out dhcp addresses.  You can run ddns and wins on the
same box.  I have both.