[CentOS] remote syslog question

Sat Dec 3 02:35:15 UTC 2011
Corey Henderson <corman at cormander.com>

On 12/2/2011 5:06 PM, fred smith wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 12:48:14AM +0100, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> Vreme: 12/03/2011 12:04 AM, fred smith piše:
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> I'm still googling for this, but after quite a while I'm no closer, so
>>> I figured I'd ask you guys:
>>>
>>> I've got my router using syslog on my centos box to log the router's
>>> system events. Works fine.
>>>
>>> however, it mixes 'em into /var/log/messages along with the messages
>>> from the Centos box itself.
>>>
>>> is there a way to separate them into itsown (set of??) files? So far
>>> I've not come up with anything.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Fred
>>>
>>> PS: We're speaking of Centos 5.7 here.
>>>

>> I am in professional wireless business. My solution was to deinstall
>> syslog and install syslog-ng, it's supports separation based on IP,
>> name, etc..
>
> thanks. I was hoping for some kind of hack so I wouldn't need to do that.

For what it's worth, you can replace sysklogd with "rsyslog", which has
compatible configuration, so you don't need to change much in the conf file.

An example for logging based on name:

http://wiki.rsyslog.com/index.php/Log_Router_syslog_with_Dynamic_File_Names

It's a base centos package, so you can just "yum install rsyslog"

--
Corey Henderson
http://cormander.com/