[CentOS] How to preserve iptables when running the GUI tool ?

Mon Dec 5 21:00:03 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Timothy Madden <terminatorul at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have set up NAT with iptables for an openvpn connection, so that the
> VPN server could give VPN clients access to the entire sub-net of the
> server.
>
> The probelm is if I start system-config-securitylevel to say disable the
> firewall, and then again to enable it, my iptable rules are gone !
>
> I did run `service iptables save` before.
>
> Is there something I can do to prevent this ? Is there a gui interface
> to enable NAT over a VPN connection that cooperates with
> system-config-network ?

Not sure what the GUI tool does (I'd assume it clears iptables if you
tell it to disable the firewall...) but 'service iptables save' writes
a file named iptables in /etc/sysconfig that you should be able to
back up somewhere.  However, a normal 'service iptables stop'  which
will happen in a shutdown/reboot, etc. will also overwrite that file.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com