[CentOS] /dev/sda

Tue Dec 6 20:33:33 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:46 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Booting purposes is the point: /dev/md0 is /boot. And as the slot's ATA0,
> it should come up as sda. You mention getting the bootloader sectors over
> - do you mean, after it's rebuilt and active, to then rerun grub-install?
> Remember, the drive that's failing is /dev/sda. I also don't see why, if I
> replace the original drive in the original slot (I'm doing this on the
> clone, whose drive is just fine, thankyouveddymuch), it isn't recognized
> as /dev/sda.

Booting software RAID1 is kind of an oddball case.  You actually boot
on the disk that bios considers your boot drive only, and it works
because the drives are mirrored and happen to look the same whether
you look at the partition or the raid device.   You need to install
grub separately onto each disk of the pair, though.  If you get this
part wrong, you can boot from an install/rescue disk and fix it.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com