[CentOS] Backup Redux

Thu Dec 8 16:08:55 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Philippe Naudin
<philippe.naudin at supagro.inra.fr> wrote:

>> If you want mostly-online backups with perhaps an occasional tar
>> archive, it will be hard to beat backuppc because of it's storage
>> pooling and ability to run over rsync or smb with no remote agents.
>> For all-tape, I'd probably go with amanda because of its ability
>> juggle the full/incremental mix automatically to fit the available
>> tape size.  I haven't used bacula but it looks like it might be good
>> if you want a mix of online and tape storage and can deal with the
>> agent installs.
>
> In this last scenario, dar (http://dar.linux.free.fr/doc/Features.html)
> works just fine and don't need any remote agent. It is also at least as
> fast as Bacula at restore time, provided the "catalogue" is ready.

That looks like a one-off kind of tool.  Backuppc/amanda/backula are
all frameworks to manage potentially large numbers of targets.

Another interesting thing is Relax and Recover
(http://rear.sourceforge.net/ - in EPEL as rear).  This is something
that you run on a working system to generate a bootable iso with that
system's own tools to reconstruct the current filesystem layout
(including LVM/md raid, etc.) and restore a backup onto it.  It
includes a few backup methods internally but with a small amount of
work you could integrate your own backup approach into it to get a
fully-scripted bare metal restore.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com