[CentOS] Backup Redux

Thu Dec 8 19:26:07 UTC 2011
Mikael Fridh <frimik at gmail.com>

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I just went through the archives to see what people are doing for backups,
> and here is what I found :
> - amanda
> - bacula
> - BackupPC
> - FreeNAS
>
> Here is my situation : we have pretty much all Sun hardware with a Sun
> StorageTek SL24 tape unit backing it all up.  OSes are a combination of
> RHEL and CentOS.  The software we are using is EMC

My non-tape solution of choice is definitely rsync => box with ZFS,
snapshot however often you'd like. => forever incrementals.

For more redundancy and performance, add more ZFS boxes, do
replication between them.

For tapes, I'd go with Bacula, but my intermediate storage will
probably be ZFS anyway, for easy management of filesystems. I like
creating one storage device per client as per this amazing write-up by
Henrik Johansen: http://myunix.dk/category/bacula/

I'd choose Bacula mainly for experience and being comfortable with it.
In this setup, I'm used to managing it all with Puppet:
>From server to client to storage agents as well as creating individual
zfs filesystems for each client on the storage server.
I had to patch the puppet zfs provider a while back to make it work on FreeBSD.

For Bacula, there now exists an awesome (modern) web interface, with
ACL support and all: http://webacula.sourceforge.net/

Good luck.
--
Mike